Sunday 13 January 2013

This Is How It Is

There are those who live to eat, and those who eat to live. There are gluttons, and purists, and conservatives. As far as I'm concerned they're all mad.

Now look. We have no choice, we have to eat. In order to stay alive we have to consume a certain amount of calories every day. We need a certain amount of protein, carbohydrate, fat, and vitamins and minerals. Our fuel etc. We have to do this regularly, so we may as well enjoy it. And, somehow, we have to pay for it.

At one end of the extreme is subsistence living - repetitive, bad food. At the other end, far too much food, and probably not the healthiest. Somewhere in between, where sanity lies, is enjoyable food, on a realistic budget, that supplies a decent nutrition.

I have raised a larger than average family - for the west, in current times. My budget has always been limited, and sometimes so is my time. I have several stipulations when it comes to what we eat, therefore. Really, when it comes right down to it, it's all about getting the most flavour and nutritional value, for the least money.

I don't eat junk. It's not because I'm virtuous, it's because I have better taste, and I don't like wasting money. Actually. If you like McDonald's food, and you can afford it, go right ahead. Not my body, not my bank account, not my problem. I will not preach. If you enjoy eating expensive crap, please carry on as you are. Go right ahead. Don't come to me when you are sick or poor - OK? Good.

So. After years of talking about food all over the place, here is where I have settled to share ideas - to teach and to learn. We will have no faffing about here.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent - count me in. ;) ~ Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to read the other comments. I always think that's where the best stuff is on food blogs.

      Delete